Have you ever noticed that static electricity seems to be worse in the winter? The next time you touch a doorknob in your Orange Park, Florida, home and get a jolt, you won’t have to wonder why. Learn about the dangers of static electricity and some things you can do to avoid minor shocks this winter.

What Causes Static Electricity?

Static electricity causes a bit of a jolt, and it’s uncomfortable. But you’re not likely to get seriously hurt from it. It’s caused by excessively dry air in the wintertime that causes free electrons to stick to you more easily. Then, when you touch a conductive surface, they’re released and you get a shock. These shocks can be damaging to some electronics, like cell phones, but even that’s highly unlikely.

Avoiding Electric Shocks

There are some easy steps you can take to avoid shocks from static electricity. These include using a humidifier, avoiding synthetic carpeting or clothing, and maintaining your HVAC system.

Use a Humidifier

Controlling the humidity in your home is the most effective way to keep those free electrons from sticking to you. Use a humidifier to maintain the humidity of your indoor air at about 40% and you should feel fewer small jolts.

Avoid Synthetics

Synthetic fabrics and carpeting are like magnets to those electrons. You can combat static electricity by wearing natural fabrics and avoiding synthetic carpeting. Rubber-soled shoes and bare feet can also help you avoid carrying electrons.

Maintain Your HVAC System

One of the most important things you can do to reduce free electrons in the air is to maintain your HVAC system. Your furnace and AC system do a lot more than just heat and cool your home; they clean your air as well. By keeping your HVAC system clean and functioning at peak efficiency, your air will be cleaner and you’ll be less likely to get shocked.

To schedule a maintenance appointment for your HVAC system, call Cool Connections, Inc. at 904-685-1582 today. We’ll help your HVAC system operate at peak efficiency and reduce static electricity in your home.

Image provided by Shutterstock

Font Resize
Contrast

Pin It on Pinterest