Do you dust and vacuum your home frequently but cleaning up the dust never remedies the problem? Dust is a fact of life, and something your Jacksonville area home will never be completely rid of. Composed of dead skin cells, dirt, pollen, dander, clothing or carpet fibers and other small particulate, dust is continually being formed and settling on every horizontal surface it can find.
The reason why your home gets dusty again too quickly may be due to specific issues with your HVAC system, such as:
- Leaky ductwork: When the ductwork that distributes your conditioned air isn’t airtight, all sorts of particles can get pulled into the HVAC system from unfinished spaces like the attic and wall cavities. This means that particles like bits of drywall, pest droppings, insect body parts, insulation fibers and similar debris gets sent out through the ductwork into your home every time the blower fan cycles on.
- Inadequate filtration: If you use a thin fiberglass filter in your HVAC system, you might notice that it rarely looks dirty or needs replacement. This is a sure sign that the filter isn’t capturing the smaller particles that contribute to household dust like pollen, animal dander, skin cells, microscopic mites, bits of soil, paper/textile fibers and human and animal hair. Instead, these particles are bypassing the filter, getting into the air handler unit and being continually redistributed through your home.
Effective HVAC-Related Dust Remedies
Giving your HVAC system some attention by taking the following steps can often help correct a problem with excessive dust.
- Have an HVAC pro inspect the ductwork in your home to determine if there are significant leaks due to deficiencies and damage, like disconnected or crushed sections and holes or gaps, and have any such issues repaired.
- Get your HVAC ductwork professionally sealed so debris from unconditioned areas can’t be drawn in.
- Upgrade to a custom Cool Connections filter with the highest recommended MERV rating listed in your HVAC units owner’s manual.
- Change your air filter. It should be checked once a month and replaced when there is any visible sign of dust accumulation.
- Make sure that you install the air filter in the right direction and that it’s all the way into its slot, so air can’t be easily pulled in around it.
To learn more effective dust remedies to keep your Jacksonville Florida area home cleaner and improve your air quality, contact us at:
Cool Connections, Inc. – Your Jacksonville, Florida HVAC Specialists
Our goal is to help educate our customers in the Greater Jacksonville, Florida area about energy and home comfort issues (specific to HVAC systems).
Cool Connections, Inc. is a locally owned and operated business. We have thousands of customers and the experience for HVAC service, repair, and installations for furnaces, heat pumps, air conditioning (AC), and air quality systems. Be sure to Contact Cool Connections, Inc. in Jacksonville, Florida for all your air conditioning and heating needs. (904) 685-1582